Sunday 31 March 2013

Caravan Biscuits for the holidays! (Dairy free, egg free, vegan and can be gluten free)

vegan, gluten free, oat caravan biscuits

This recipe is the result of my mum clipping recipes in the 1970's.  She is pretty sure this one originally came from the fabulous people at Good Housekeeping, and its served us well over the years!  (We don't know why they are called Caravan biscuits though! Any ideas, please let me know?)

These biscuits, or cookies if you prefer, are slightly crunchy, chewy in the middle and full of knobbly oaty bits.  Naturally vegan with the use of vegan margarine, they can also be gluten free if you use gluten free flour and add a 1/4 tsp xanthan gum.

Chuck a few handfuls of raisins or chopped cherries in and you have fruity, oaty biscuits, and boy are they good!

Caravan Biscuits 

Makes 20

Ingredients

120g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
large pinch salt
large pinch cream of tartar
120g vegan margarine (I use Pure Spread Sunflower)
120g sugar
120g rolled oats
1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
2 tsp hot water
2 tablespoons syrup


Method

Preheat the oven to 180°C

1. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar together and set aside.

2. Beat the margarine to soften in a classic batter bowl and add the sugar. Beat in.
3. Add the oats and stir to combine.

4. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the hot water in a pinch bowl.

5. Warm the syrup slightly then measure it out using a measure all cup.

6. Add to the margarine and sugar mix. Beat in.

7. Add the flour and mix until well combined.

8. If the mixture is very solid you can warm it slightly in the microwave to make it easier to handle, and then form small balls. If too warm leave it to cool slightly before you handle it.

9. Place on flat stoneware (I used my rectangle stone, and my medium stone) and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand.

10. Bake at 180°C for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden. Don't let them get too dark of they will be bitter!

11. Allow to cool slightly on the trays before removing to a cooling rack.



2 comments:

  1. I have a photocopy of the original recipe as my mum used to do the same thing! They are a family favourite - we shortened the name to Caravan bickies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were a staple in my house in the 70s also. That chewy/crunchy combo is the best! Almost definitely Good Housekeeping and no, no idea why the name. We did also go caravanning quite a lot but I don't remember us eating or baking them then particularly! 🤷🏻‍♂️

    ReplyDelete

I would be delighted if you left me a comment , so I know I'm not just speaking to myself!