Sunday 14 October 2012

Chicken goujons (egg, dairy and gluten free)




My mum makes fantastic home made chicken goujons, or nuggets if you like.  I taste them and I'm transported back to my childhood, and a few amazing picnics when she made these and we took them along cold and dipped them in sauce to eat them with our fingers.

Having a little person with egg and dairy allergies makes the use of eggs to coat them really difficult. I went on a mission to find out how to make them for her (and us) without the addition of eggs so that we could have a happier and healthier alternative to chicken nuggets.

The fact that these are made at home means that the coating can be controlled and made gluten and wheat free too, depending on the flour or bread used for the breadcrumbs.  So I reckon you could make these pretty much allergy free!

I use this method to make home made fish fingers too.

Serves 4

Ingredients

400g pack chicken breast strips or breasts cut into even sized strips or chunks
3 tablespoons plain flour (or corn flour if GF)
2 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons non-dairy milk (I use soya)
Two ends of a loaf of bread (use any bread you like, gluten free if needed)

Method


Preheat the oven to 180°C

1.  Place the bread in a food processor and whizz until the bread is fine breadcrumbs.

2.  Put the oil and milk in a small batter bowl and whisk until well mixed and frothy with a stainless steel whisk.

3.  Put the flour on one plate and bread crumbs on another.


4.  Coat each chicken strip well by rolling it in the flour, then transfer to the oil and milk emulsion and coat well in that too.

5.  Place the strips on the breadcrumb plate and coat in the breadcrumbs by turning and patting them on.

6.  Place the chicken on a flat stone such as a medium bar pan (you'll need two of these) or a rectangle stone, and cook in the oven for 25-30 mins until golden brown.  You could fry these, but I find as they already contain oil in the coating they bake really well.



7.  I serve these with chips or mash, peas, and plenty of sauces for dipping.  My family particularly like sweet chilli sauce.


Thank you to HCampbellPhotography for the truly beautiful food shots!




6 comments:

  1. Excellent recipe as a milk, wheat and egg allergy sufferer I found it very good. Well done.
    I found it lovely with potato wedges and green beans. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Jack! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I always love to get feedback about recipes. It works brilliantly for making home made fish fingers too!

      Delete
  2. Yummy. Never thought aout making my own fush fingers, looks good. Thanks.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a few mediocre attempts at deep frying home made dairy and egg free fish fingers which frankly, was a recipe for a 999 call; I stumbled across this recipe. I whizzed up rice crispies and cornflakes instead of bread and the kids have just enjoyed them with sweetcorn and potato wedges. I love the idea of chicken goujons cold on a picnic so will definitely be trying that come summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,
      Delighted they turned out so well and I love the idea of the cereal coating instead! Must try it next time I make them myself.
      Kristina x

      Delete
  4. Have been meaning to use some of the chicken I froze last month, and would love to get my kids eating more home cooked food (rather than the constant frozen food they're enjoying atm!) But as a gluten and egg intolerant, (with possible milk intolerance too) home made breaded foods have been an impossibility until I looked for recipes like this! Will definitely be giving this a go, and as I have a box of gf cornflakes to use up, I'll definitely try them with those as well! Tx :)

    ReplyDelete

I would be delighted if you left me a comment , so I know I'm not just speaking to myself!