Monday 14 May 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies (egg and dairy free/vegan)

Choc Chip cookies!  There is something about the crunch and chew factor of a choc chip cookie that comforts and makes me feel like I can face the world again when I'm feeling a bit down.  But they do have to be really good choc chip cookies to do that!

These ones fit into that category.

I use my favourite Dairy free chocolate for these - Moo Free chocolate drops which are a huge hit in our house.

These are based on a recipe from Kelly Rudnicki's Food Allergy Mama Baking Book.  I use a jar of baby food apple sauce as it is nice and smooth, often has nothing added, and is usually organic too.

I didn't have any the other day, so grated an apple into a pan (skin on) using my coarse microplane grater, added a little water and simmered it until it was nice and mushy.  One gala apple makes pretty much the amount you need for this recipe.


My big tip for making cookies all the same size, or cupcakes for that matter, is to use our large scoop to measure out the dough onto the baking stone, or the batter into the cupcake cases.  The means you get a uniform size of cookie or cake. Our small scoop is perfect for mini muffins or smaller cookies.



Vegan Choc Chip Cookies

Makes 12 cookies when using the large scoop

Ingredients
2/3 cup Pure Spread
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 small jar baby applesauce (unsweetened) or 1/4 cup applesauce, mashed to remove lumps
1 3/4 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 packets Moo Free dairy free chocolate drops (or 105g vegan chocolate)

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C

2. In a classic batter bowl, mix together the Pure Spread, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla and applesauce with a mix 'n' scraper till smooth. I use a Measure all Cup to measure all of these ingredients out.

3. In a stainless mixing bowl combine the flour with the bicarbonate of soda and salt, measured using an adjustable measuring spoon, and whisk together with a stainless whisk.

4. Add mixtures together and combine until creamy. Stir in the chocolate chips.

5. Using a the large scoop drop the dough onto flat stoneware such as the medium round stone, medium bar pan or rectangular stone.  Flatten each cookie slightly.

6. Bake for 14-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.

7. Leave to cool on the stone for a few minutes before removing with a large serving spatula to a stackable cooling rack.

Eat warm for best results!


Some little ones that I made this week for a childrens' birthday party, on our stackable cooling rack. I added the idea of lolly sticks which I cut in half with my fabulous professional shears and then inserted into the middle of the balls of dough before cooking.  These were made using the small scoop.


2 comments:

  1. I just made these. They are very good and pretty easy to make. Mine came out a bit more cakey than I would like though, so I think I might need to adjust things a bit. I also love the idea of using baby applesauce as an egg substitute - genius! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them Stef! They are definitely chewier if you add a little more apple sauce as I tried it with different amounts till I was happy. Thanks for visiting and the comment! Kristina

      Delete

I would be delighted if you left me a comment , so I know I'm not just speaking to myself!